Sunday 31 January 2010

iPad is here !!!

The wait is over for the Apple tablet, christened iPad. And I am not impressed. Well, the thing looks good and packs some features, but fails miserably short of what some people, including the people from Apple, hailed a revolution. Here are my three cents on the iPad:

a) The tablet looks good, but a $500 (starting) price-tag for the hardware on offer is a bit too much. There are $300 netbooks available in the market which sport a far superior processor and graphic capabilities.

b) They say I can use it to read books, listen to music, surf internet and watch high definition video. And then they say that the maximum storage on offer is 64 GB. I fail to see a connect between the two. Don't they know how much space a movie in HD can take. And did I say that I expect the 64 GB version to be much costlier than the stated $500!!

c) The device lacks a webcam. Which by the way comes in those $300 notebooks. I think a device meant for 'fun-on-the-go' should sport a webcam.

Finally, there is nothing extra which I can do on iPad and not on my iPod Touch. I mean, common guys, a larger screen and a slimmer body doesn't create a "revolution". I am not writing down my biased feelings here, in fact I love Apple. I love my iPods, iPhone was a terrific product and I am longing badly for a Mac, but I think Apple has failed to deliver upon expectations this time around. Or may be it's a flip side of riding on high expectations after delivering 3 blockbuster products. Whatever it is, I am not going with the iPad.

Oh by the way, I think that iPad is too predictable and too boring a name for this device. FYI: Mashable conducted a poll for the device name before the official launch, and iSlate got the highest number of votes. iSlate, hmmm, definitely better than iPad.

2 comments:

Mohit said...

Also, the LCD screen means that you cant really use it outside !! but whatever :)

Red said...

oh yes, they have used a TFT screen...pity :(